Two Weeks, Two Books, One Author

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Confession time: I maaay have a secret-that's-not-so-secret love for McFly - seriously though, who doesn't find themselves singing along to their incredibly catchy tunes?! Well when I saw that Tom Fletcher's wife, Giovanna, had not only written one book, but two, I simply had to check them out.

'You're The One That I Want': A quick search on Amazon found Giovanna's newest book first and after reading a few of the glowing reviews, I downloaded it straight to my Kindle with great excitement and anticipation. I am a massive romantic, thus it sounded like the perfect read.

With promises of a tale about close bonds, tricky love and boundaries, you follow Maddy, Rob and Ben as they grow up together and discover ever-lasting friendships along with the meaning of true love. You are taken on a journey that is seventeen years of friendship and are left torn choosing between the two men as Maddy tries to decipher her feelings. I must point out that this isn't your average "love triangle story", it's so much more than that but not wanting to give too much away, I implore you to just buy this book as it's brilliant.


It is written from the point of view of each character at different stages in their lives which made the whole thing seem more real and relatable. Having it written in such a way makes it easier to connect with the characters and understand the variety of feelings and raw emotion that runs deep within the storyline. It's fair to say that this book tugged at my heart strings on more than one occasion!

Now for the difficult bit: Team Rob or Team Ben? And honestly? I can't decide. Both had amazing qualities, as well as rubbish ones. If I really had to choose then it'd be Team Ben, simply because he was in love with Maddy from day one and was incredibly patient and understanding throughout.


Overall, it is heart-warming, funny and massive roller coaster of emotions. Well worth the read.


'Billy and Me': After enjoying 'You're The One That I Want' so much, I immediately went back on Amazon and purchased Giovanna's first book, 'Billy and Me'. It also had rave reviews so I was eager to bury myself in it.

Warning: If you read this book, have a box of tissues next to you and be prepared - it's a real tear-jerker.

'Billy and Me' is set in a quaint English countryside village and tells the story of the whirlwind romance between Sophie and film star, Billy Buskin. You follow these two characters through exciting dates, moving to London together, dealing with difficult family pasts and the rise of Billy's acting career. Again, I don't want to ruin anything for those wanting to have a read so I won't divulge any spoilers; all I can say is that it is thoroughly enjoyable, as well as, heart-wrenching and beautiful…I read it in a couple of days, it was that good.

The one niggle (and a very small one at that) was that the plot felt a tiny bit...rushed. This meant the connection between Sophie and Billy seemed to be lacking slightly, but then again, that might have been part of the plot or just the way I had read it - who know's. It certainly does not change my view on this lovely book and on a plus note, Molly's character (the older lady who owns the little tea shop Sophie works in and her closest friend) in particular was wonderfully written and very endearing, she was by far my favourite character. 

Both books were terrific and I absolutely adore Giovanna's easy and comfortable writing style. The novels were witty, enticing, romantic and genuinely fab reads. I already can't wait for her next one!

Have you read either of these or have suggestions for books I can discover next? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comments!
I enjoy reading each and every one of them!