Birchbox August Box Review

Friday, August 15, 2014

Birchbox's August box has arrived! I am always eagerly awaiting these so when the email notification pinged and I was informed the box had been dispatched, I couldn't wait to see what was inside!

The box landed on my doorstop only a couple of days after receiving the dispatch email and looked the usual: a small box holding the goodies, an information card and booklet. The noticeable difference, compared with it's predecessors, is that it came with a special plastic bag to match the theme (I'll get to that in a moment). Unfortunately, the bag had a tear below the zip which was gutting as it looked like it'd be a really useful travel bag. I've emailed Birchbox and am awaiting a reply but wasn't a good start.

August's theme was "Away We Go" and had the view to celebrate summer holidays. It was clearly noticeable and all the products inside gave off the summer getaway vibe, though it did make me wish I was going on my holibobs - boo

After being disappointed with the broken bag, my spirits were lifted when I pulled out the 'lifestyle extra' item from the box. As you should already know by now, I adore reading so seeing an extract from the book, The Proposal by Tasmina Perry, excited me. I read it as soon as I'd finished looking at the rest of the box's contents and I must say, it's great so far and I even downloaded it instantly to my Kindle; I can't wait to read the rest!

On to the main products which consisted of one hair care, two cosmetic and two body care items. As much as I love receiving makeup, it made a nice change to have a few more body and hair care samples this month.

Wild About Beauty was the only brand I'd heard of and I'd been wanting to try their products for a while, so seeing the Powder Eyeshadow was great. I received the shade '05 Fern' which is a pretty, metallic bronze and after swatching, it was clear that the pigmentation is strong. Plus how cute is the little bee print and packaging! It'll look lovely as part of a smokey eye, though it's a bit too bright for me to use as an everyday eyeshadow.


The item I was most looking forward to trying was Vasanti's Brightenup! Enzymatic Face Rejuvinator. I'm always on the look out for exfoliating products, but an exfoliator and a cleanser?! Yes please! It does a cracking job at lifting off any dirt and makeup and makes my skin feel soft and smooth. The scent is far from unpleasant but isn't too harsh that it's noticeable for hours after. A nice product that I'll be using up quickly.

Next up was Number 4's Lumiere d'hiver Super Comb Prep & Protect. I'm a complete novice when it comes to leave-in conditioners, I've never needed to use them before! But I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't so keen on the smell if I'm honest, but my hair did feel smooth and tangle-free after using the spray.

Confession time: I'm one of those people who will use up and/or take home the products you find in your hotel bathroom - I can't be the only one! I love 'em; especially the adorable miniatures. I like being clean, feeling fresh and smelling nice so receiving a new shower gel was very much a "yipee" moment. The Refreshing Bath Shower Gel from Dead Sea Spa Magik is wonderful; smells divine and does what it says on the tube: I left the shower feeling refreshed and relaxed. Another product that's going to be empty pretty quickly!

Again, I'll admit, I am a CC Cream noob. I've tried a few BB Creams in the past (without much success I might add, so any BB Cream suggestions are welcome!) but never dipped my toe in to the CC Cream pool. Therefore, seeing two tubes of Supergoop! CC Cream did panic me a little but after doing some research and making sure I knew how to use them correctly, the end result turned out well! I received the shade light to medium and it managed to cover blemishes well. It feels silky smooth to apply but is nice and light-weight so would be good on it's own for a relaxed-makeup kind of day or together with a light foundation.

This box didn't overly excite me when I first saw the contents but after testing them out or reading up more on them, it's really grown on me and I'll conclude that it is another awesome offering from Birchbox!

To find out more information or to subscribe, click here.

What did you think to Birchbox's August box? Do you subscribe to any beauty boxes?

Update: I have heard back from Birchbox about the broken the bag! They have apologised deeply and are sending me another free of charge. How lovely of them and on that note, their customer service really is excellent. Each time I've contacted, I have had swift and helpful responses. Thank you Birchbox!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comments!
I enjoy reading each and every one of them!