Camping Time!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

A few weeks ago my best friend and I went camping in Wales and had an absolute blast. But amongst the fun, it got me thinking of a potential post full of tips and tricks for all things camping-related. So here it is! A post of tips and ideas galore for your perusal.

The Prep: 
Get a tent sorted and put it up before hand. This airs it (to get rid of any unwelcome damp smell) and means you can check for any holes or tears. It also ensures that you have all the parts and poles needed. It's an essential thing to do that some people may not even think of! Don't forget to check you have tent pegs too!


Lists and packing. Packing is pretty dependant on where you're going and what you plan on doing; Nikki and I were only going away for a couple of days therefore packed pretty light. Try to remember that you'll be living out of a tent for however long so take what you need, more than what you think you fancy. Now to lists and these are something I live by, especially since starting this blog. A good idea is to jot down all the things you need to pack to make sure you don't forget anything. This then leads me on to my next point…

What to take. As I've said above, these bullet points will all dependant on where you're going/how long you are going for/what you plan to do. Some major camping essentials (for moi anyway) are as follows:
  • Bedding. If you favour something more on the comfortable side of things, then an airbed and duvet is the way to go - if you don't mind the effort of pumping it up! If you're not so fussed or don't have room to pack one, tent rolls and sleeping bags are for you. We settled for the sleeping bags which turned out to be surprisingly comfy!
  • Camping stove. If you're like me and can't start the morning without a tea or coffee then you need a camping stove with a pot (and cups, obviously). Make sure you have enough gas to keep it burning as you don't want to be half way through boiling your water or cooking for it to run out - what a bummer that would be!
  • Cool box. This goes hand in hand with the stove. If you're planning on cooking meals at the camp site or fancy a bit of bacon and eggs in the morning, then you'll need a cool box. Remember to freeze your cooling blocks before you go though, otherwise you'll just end up with a box!
  • Utensils and crockery. If you plan to eat at the site, then you'll need the usuals: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, cooking utensils etc. The best to take are those that are plastic as they're lighter, easier to wash and less likely to break! You may want to take a washing up bowl, washing up liquid and cleaning/drying cloths too.
  • Toilettries. Goes without saying really and is all down to personal preference.
  • Clothes. Again, pretty obvious. But a good idea is to pack warm clothes for night time. Things can get pretty nippy in a tent at night and there's nothing worse than being cold when trying to get to sleep. Take some extra socks, PJ trousers and even a long sleeved top if you know you get cold quickly, like I do. 
  • Wellies. This isn't a "must have" but they are really handy, especially if you're going somewhere where it is likely to rain. Ladies, if you're worried about fashion and how you look, there are some really cute looking wellies out there so get on the internet, take a look and treat yourself :)
  • Camping chairs. What life savers these are! You can pick up a camping chair pretty cheaply and it makes camping an awful lot easier and so much more comfortable! Another bonus is that most fold away so don't take up much room when packing.
  • Electricals. Some sites have electric points, some don't; it's always best to find out before you go. If you're travelling by car, invest in an in-car phone charger, they're brilliant and means you can charge on the go. A note about the beauty side of things, some sites have plugs in the toilet blocks to use hairdryers and straighteners, again, worth checking before going so you know whether to pack or not. 
The Set-up: 
Something to remember when setting up a tent is that they're not the easiest things, unless you have a 'Pop Up Tent' - how awesome are they!! Anyway, this is an important to note if you're like me and gets pretty frustrated easily (a.k.a. short-fused!). If you're with someone then work as a team; yes, that sounds cheesy but it seriously helps. When getting ready to set up your tent, position it on your pitch in the way you want it, ensuring that you have enough room surrounding for your guidewires. Put all your poles togethers and lay it out flat, then do section by section. Have a laugh with it, we had an hilarious time trying to put ours up - though the strong wind didn't help, thank you for that Wales!

The After Bit: 
This is where you have set up your tent, you have a pot on the stove boiling and you're feeling proud of your hard work. Now go enjoy your holiday!! A couple of things to note... Try to take your shoes off before entering the tent. It'll keep the sleeping compartment much tidier and cleaner and also means it won't get damp/wet if the weather is bad. Also, make sure to shut up your tent completely (inside compartment(s) and out), this should keep any unwelcome bugs out and is safer. I would suggest that you don't leave anything of value in the tent when you're not around though, you know, just in case.

The End: 
The bit at the end of a lovely holiday we all hate, going home. Before taking your tent down, make sure that it is empty. It's all too often I've heard of people losing items only to find them inside the pockets when they get home or go camping again so it's worth the double-check! Be careful taking the tent down as much as when you were putting it up, you don't want it to rip! Final point to note is to dry it out when you get home. This is really important! If you don't, it will get mouldy and  could potentially ruin and what a waste that'd be!


Well there you have it, a few of my pointers for going camping. It's not the most glamourous of holidays but it’s a lot of fun and really leaves a stripped away break! 


Do you have any camping hints or tips? Happy camping!! :)

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I always wanted to go camping ! You really inspired me with this post. Great tips ! And I also loooved the nail polish that you are wearing.

    Byee

    http://letmecrossover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could help, hopefully you'll find them useful. You should definitely go camping, it's so much fun and definitely a nice way to get away from it all! And thank you! It's Essie 'Peach Daiquiri', I love it!

      Delete
  2. Great post, really useful tips! I love going camping and I wish I could go more often. I would say bring lots of wet-wipes/ cleansing wipes and mini travel sized toiletries as these are my helpers when camping! I love dry shampoo too! I love your blog and I have followed you with Bloglovin, if you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks! Best wishes.

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you thought so! I had completely forgotten about wet wipes and travel sized products, so yes, I'd also say to take those too as they're fab! Thank you for the add ons ;)
      Thank you for doing so, I have followed you on Bloglovin also. I love your blog, it's great!
      Hope you are well x

      Delete
  3. I feel I should pack my bag and buy a tent now! Awesome post :)

    http://whatchelseysays.blogspot.co.uk/

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh, thank you! Glad you thought so :) x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
I enjoy reading each and every one of them!